Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Kakas on the kompound

Hi Folks,

This will likely be my last post for a few days, because I have a busy schedule coming up.

Here are some pictures of two guys that have helped me with my soccer project.

In Kurdish, Kaka means 'uncle', or 'big brother'. It's a term of respect for any male. 'Baji' is the same, but for females.

The people in the office call me 'Kaka Rick'. The boys on the field still call me "Mister Mister, me no football."

Anyways, the first two pictures are of Kaka Lala. He is deaf and mute, and we can only communicate by a loud "Hah" sound when he wants to get your attention, and a sort of improvised sign language once he is in conversation with you.




The woman in the picture is from an NGO....she's up from Baghdad for a big agricultural expo.

The other guy is Ramazan (Ramadan), the gardener who works in the compound, and who has really been the powerhouse behind the field getting built and maintained.


As the season draws to a close, I am getting things organized to use the time after work to teach the boys English. There is a large conference room in my house, whose lease has now been assumed by my company (so I can determine what happens in the conference room after hours, to a large extent). Once the ag-expo is over, we'll run the house.

Enjoy the pics!

Be back soon with more exciting posts!

Love and Peace to all!

No comments: