Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving

The big turkey day is coming up soon....what are we giving thanks for as we kill the poor turkeys?

I am thankful for the fact that I have survived to the ripe old age of 38. Some of my travels have taken me into pretty scary places, but somehow I was never really physically harmed.

There are many other things I should mention:

My parents, who taught me to look out for the downtrodden, weary wanderers of the world. Not sure if Mom remembers the night she took Chris and me in the car to go help some hitchhiking couple at a rundown motel outside Aberdeen, MD. Some organization called FISH. WWJD?

My wife and kids, who have been with me through some of the most disastrous times. Although we are not together anymore, I still think about them all the time, and wish that things had worked out differently.

My brothers, who reminded me how to play the beautiful game. They are still better than I will ever be. They picked me up and dusted me off when I was having a bad time.

My uncles, Danny, David, Jimmy, Peter, Bobby, and Gerry. And my aunts, Denise, Terri and Marie. These people have loved me and cared for me as if I were their own son. Some of them are in heaven now, but they are with me each night when I say my prayers.

My colleagues past and present, for helping me to do the work that needs to be done. For teaching me languages, usage, idioms, and jokes. Most importantly, for caring about doing a good job in service to the poor and needy around the world.

My country, for all the amazing men and women that have served in the armed forces, the manufacturing industries, the non-profit sector, and just good old volunteers who will step up to the plate to help out, whatever the cause.

And, finally, for Senator Obama. Let's hope he can make our country a source of pride and passion instead of ridicule and derision. It's hard to make big decisions that will affect all 6 Billion of us mortals, and I think that Obama will make better decisions in the long run than John "Bomb-bomb-bomb Iran" McCain.

Love and Peace to all!

No comments: