Sunday, February 1, 2009

What's so great about Ernest Hemingway?

Hi Folks!

Perhaps there's something I'm missing, but I am not a big fan of Hemingway. Not yet, anyway.

I am reading a collection of short stories I got in Russia years ago. It's quite an interesting book, as there are editor's comments at the end, with explanations, in Russian for various colloquialisms and other things that a Russian reader might find hard to understand. There are also quite detailed explanations in the back--talking about the stage of Hemingway's career when each story was written, and linking them to his biography, state of mental/spiritual health, etc.

All that said, the stories suck!

They are all just a running dialogue, normally between two characters, with no resolution. Sort of like this blog, perhaps....only here, it seems, there is only one character.

Perhaps there is something more in his full novels, which I have to admit I haven't read.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading the short stories to see if I can figure out what made the man so special.

In other news:

John Updike died. There's someone whose work I'd like to revisit.

Iraq's elections seem to have gone off smoothly. We'll know the results by Christmas. LOL

At least there wasn't any major violence or other disturbance.

It's nap time on my day off, but someone is using a jackhammer right outside my window.

Wonderful!

Love and Peace to all!

No comments: