Saturday, October 18, 2008

Early morning in Erbil

Listening to a band I recently discovered--called Pistolera. It's made up of Latino immigrants, and they play much like the Roma (Gypsies) from Europe, on the guitar, accordion, etc.

The vocals are very similar to Roma music as well. I can't understand a word of the lyrics, but the sound is fantastic. Sometimes you just get a song by understanding its title and go from there. Part of the way I became fluent in Russian was through listening to music, trying to write down lyrics in my notebook, and asking people to explain what they were singing.

I did this mostly in the van and hotel rooms when I was working for a travel agency out of Moscow. We toured around the sites of historical battles. Poltava, Vyborg, Borodino, etc. My job was to render an opinion as to the suitability of accommodations for the average American tourist.

Hope you enjoyed the videos from yesterday. Took me a long time to upload.

Love and Peace to all.

No comments: